Gluten Free Dairy Free Macaroni and Cheese
one pound Ancient Harvest Gluten Free Quinoa shells
2 links chicken Italian sausages, fully cooked variety
one 16 oz thawed frozen broccoli florets
2 cups Daiya mozzarella shreds
2 cups Daiya cheddar shreds
2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped frozen onions (can use fresh, too)
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
3 cups homemade vegan evaporated milk
4 eggs plus 1/2 cup liquid egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees and very lightly grease a 9 x 13 pan. (I normally use a little bit of olive or grapeseed oil.)
2. Prepare the gluten free noodles as directed on the package, but cook it one minute less than indicated. Drained the noodles and put them into a large bowl.
3. In a food processor, chop up the two sausage links into fine pieces and add to the noodles.
4. In a food processor, chop up the thawed broccoli florets into fine pieces and add to the noodles.
5. Mix the two cheeses well with the garlic, onions, black pepper and nutmeg. Divide out 3 cups and leave the leftover one cup for the topping.
6. Mix the cheese well with the noodles.
7. Whisk well together the vegan evaporated milk with the eggs and egg whites. Pour into the noodle bowl and combine.
8. Using a ladle, scoop out the mac and cheese into the 9 x 13 pan. When you reach the end of the noodles, pour any leftover milk/egg mixture from the bottom of the bowl onto the noodles in the pan. Gently tap the noodles to make them even in the pan.
9. Sprinkle the leftover shredded cheese over the top of the noodles.
10. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling at the edge and no longer liquidy in the center.
11. Broil the top for a minute or two so the vegan cheeses can “melt”.
12. Remove from the oven, and let the mac and cheese sit for 10 minutes before serving.