Allergy Friendly Chocolate Fruit Cake
(This recipe makes 12 mini 4 x 8 loaves)
7 cups favorite dried fruits, nuts, and/or candied peels, cherries and/or citron, chopped into tiny pieces
1 cup Enjoy Life miniature chocolate chips
1 1/2 cup vegan olive oil “butter”, melted
2 cups coconut sugar
1/4 cup date molasses
3/4 cup Agave
1 cup unsweetened orange juice
1 cup liquid egg whites
2 cups high protein/high fiber gluten free flour blend (like Bob Red Mill’s garbanzo bean flour)
2 cups brown rice flour blend (like King Arthur)
1 cup gluten free oat flour
1 tsp cardamom
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Arrange your oven racks so they are evenly spaced so you can cook on both racks at teh same time. Line 12 mini loaf pans with parchment paper so the paper hangs over the side like wings. This will make it easier to pull the cake out of the pans. Arrange the pans on two cookie sheets so they have some space around each pan for air to circulate.
- Mix the dried fruit, nuts, and/or candied peels and fruit with the chocolate chips. Set aside
- Mix the melted butter with the coconut sugar, date molasses, agave, orange juice, egg whites, and eggs. Set aside.
- Combine the two gluten free flour blends with the oat flour, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir the wet ingredients well before adding the dried fruit mixture to it. Carefully add the dry ingredients, along with the apple cider vinegar.
- Mix the batter well until all the dry ingredients are thoroughly moistened.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 12 loaf pans. The pans will be only 2/3 full. (If you’d like to make these in larger 9 x 5 pans, fill the loaf pans only half full.)
- Bake the loaves for about 30 minutes and then switch the cookie sheets between the two racks for even cooking of both trays of mini-loaves. Bake for another 20-30 minutes until the fruitcakes are puffed, pulling from the sides, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cookie sheets from the oven and put the mini loaf pans onto a wire cooling rack. Cool for 10 minutes, and then carefully remove the cakes by lifting the parchment paper wings. Cool the cakes completely on the wire racks.
- To store the cakes, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil. They store in the fridge for about a week or you can double wrap them with foil and freeze them for a couple of months.