Black Bean-Kale Soup
(serves 6 to 8, depending on size of bowls)
14 oz can no salt, no sugar added lentils
one tsp olive oil
minced garlic to taste
chopped onions to taste
crushed thyme leaves to taste
ground cumin to taste
black pepper to taste
one to two cups frozen or fresh finely chopped kale
1/4 to 1/2 cup finely diced yellow pepper
14 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp to 1/4 cup finely diced vegan ham
32 oz no salt, no sugar added vegetable broth
salsa to taste
- In a food processor or blender, empty the contents of the can of lentils and puree/blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large-width pan shallower (not a narrow soup pot) which has at least 2 inch sides, add the olive oil, garlic, onions, thyme, cumin and black pepper. Saute over medium-low heat for a minute to release the flavors, stirring so nothing burns.
- Add the kale and yellow pepper and saute for another couple of minutes to release the water from the vegetables.
- Add the drained and rinsed black beans and vegan ham bits, and saute for a minute, mixing them well with the herbs and vegetables.
- Add the vegetable broth and salsa to taste, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes over low heat until the soup has reduced a bit and is thicker.
- Serve with allergy friendly sour cream and “cheese”, if desired.