Blueberry Oatmeal Cake
2 cups gluten free, whole grain, whole rolled oats
2 cups boiling water
1 cup gluten free flour blend
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup agave
1/2 cup extra light olive oil
1/2 cup liquid egg whites (or two whole eggs if you’d prefer or 2 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 6 tbsp water if you want it vegan)
1 cup to 2 cups fresh blueberries (depends on the ratio of cake to berries you want and the size of your berries)
In a pan, melt 2 tbsp of vegan butter, add 1 cup of whole rolled oats with 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp nutmeg. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 1 tbsp agave or coconut sugar. Mix well and cook for another minute. Sprinkle on top of the cake before putting it into the oven to bake.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 9 x 13 pan with parchment paper or grease as you prefer.
- In a bowl mix the oats with the boiling water and let them sit until the oats have absorbed all the water. Usually only takes about five minutes.
- In another bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl with the oats, add the agave, olive oil and egg whites and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and mix well.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan (adding the optional topping if you’d like now), and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cake is puffed, golden, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.