Brussel Sprout Chocolate Chip Cake
2 cups roasted brussel sprouts
1/2 cup safflower oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup agave
1 tbsp vanilla
4 eggs (if you are watching cholesterol, use 1 cup liquid egg whites instead)
2 cups gluten free flour blend (I used Pillsbury brand for this cake)
1 cup gluten free oat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt (you can reduce this if you are watching sodium intake)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 cup Enjoy Life allergen free mini chocolate chips
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line an 11 x 15 pan with parchment paper.
- Coarsely chop up the brussel sprouts in a food processor for a few seconds or with a knife on a cutting board.
- In a large bowl, combine the brussel sprouts with the oil, applesauce, agave and vanilla.
- Beat the eggs and add them to the brussel sprout bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the gluten free flour with the oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.
- Stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, along with the cider vinegar, and mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the cake has puffed, is golden, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Frost with favorite frosting recipe. (We made dark chocolate but I think a cream cheese frosting or vanilla or cinnamon frosting would be equally tasty.)