Cardamom Citrus Bars
2 cups gluten free flour blend (I used King Arthur’s whole grain version)
1/2 tsp cardamom
2 tbsp powdered sugar
1 cup vegan soy free butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup agave
1/4 cup gluten free flour of choice (I used sorghum flour)
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon and orange juice (I used 1/4 cup of each)
- Line a 9 x 13 pan with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the gluten free flour, powdered sugar and cardamom together. Using a pastry knife or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until crumbly.
- Spread the crust mixture into the prepared pan and use your clean fingers to press the mixture evenly into the pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes until the crust is puffed and golden.
- While the crust is baking, mix together the eggs, sugar, agave, flour, cardamom, and lemon and orange juices.
- Pour the citrus mixture over the hot crust and spread evenly.
- Bake in the oven, another 15-20 minutes until the filling has solidified.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar. (Note: The bars absorb the powdered sugar, so sprinkling just before serving allows you to serve pretty bars without having to add more sugar than you ought to be eating.)