(This recipe makes two loaves.)
2 cups of gluten free flour, sifted* (I used King Arthur’s whole grain blend.)
1 cup Hershey’s special dark unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup ground golden flaxseed
4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup dairy free mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips.)
Six 6-inch medium ripe bananas (will puree)
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup sweetener (I used coconut sugar.)
1 cup plant based oil (I used avocado oil.)
1/2 cup dairy free milk (I used an unsweetened soy milk.)
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup dairy free mini chocolate chips (This is a second one cup of chips.)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line two 9 x 5 loaf pans with parchment paper.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the chocolate chips, and set the dry ingredients aside.
- Puree the bananas using a food processor or blender. (You don’t want to mash them because they are adding liquid, not texture.)
- To the bananas, add cinnamon, sweetener, oil, milk, eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and blend until well incorporated.
- Evenly divide the batter between the two prepared loaf pans.
- Sprinkle the tops of the batter with the second cup of mini chocolate chips, evenly dividing them between the two loaves.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes until the loaves are puffed, dry on top, firm to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Mine took 55 minutes.)
- Put the pans on a wire cooling rack and let them sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the loaves from the pan to the cooling rack and allow the breads to cool.
*When “sifted” comes after the ingredient, it means to measure first and then sift.