Chocolate Tunnel Bundt Cake
2 cup coconut sugar
1 cup extra light olive oil
3 cup gluten free flour blend (I used King Arthur’s whole grain blend)
3/4 cup special dark unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup strong, cooled coffee
1 cup soy milk mixed with 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
8 oz tofu cream cheese
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
To make the filling:
Beat the tofu cream cheese until fluffy. Mix in the coconut sugar and cocoa powder, scraping down the sides as needed. Add the egg and vanilla. Stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour bundt pan with the preferred method. I use vegan butter and then sprinkle ground flax seed which coats the pan well, allows the cake to slide out easily, and adds the omegas from the flax seed to the nutrition of the cake, not to mention a pleasant tasting, textural crunch.
- Combine the coconut sugar, eggs, and olive oil in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In large measuring cup, blend the coffee and buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar/oil mixture alternately with the wet ingredients, blending well, until the ingredients are incorporated.
- If making just the chocolate bundt cake, evenly spread the batter into the prepared bundt pan as is.
- If making the tunnel cake, evenly spread about 1/3 of the batter into the bundt pan; then evenly dollop the cream cheese mixture atop the batter, making sure to leave a wall of batter on either side of the cream cheese. Then carefully add the remaining batter on top of the cream cheese filling.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes until the cake is firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out with just dry crumbs. The cake will be slightly pulling away from the edges of the pan.