Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
(makes 24 cupcakes)
2 2/3 cup gluten free flour blend (I used a whole grain sorghum flour blend by Bob’s Red Mill for this recipe)
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp egg replacer (I used Bob’s Red Mill for this recipe)
1 cup Enjoy Life mini chips
2 tbsp ground flax seed
1/2 cup “milk” (I used coconut milk for this recipe since the girl was allergic to dairy and soy but any other type will work too)
1 cup solid “fat” (I used coconut oil but a vegan soy free butter or vegan shortening will work just as well)
2 cups coconut sugar (folks can always use sugar if that is preferable)
1 cup additional “milk” (I used coconut milk for this recipe since the girl was allergic to dairy and soy but any other type will work too)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake tins with paper cupcake liners.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and egg replacer. Stir in the chocolate chips, and set aside.
- Mix the ground flax seed with the milk and set aside.
- Cream the coconut oil (or chosen fat) with the coconut sugar (or sugar), scraping down as needed.
- Add the additional milk to the thickened flax seed mixture, and add the flour and the wet ingredients to the creamed sugar mixture, alternating dry and wet in batches, blending just until all the ingredients are incorporated into one another.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake tins.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the cupcakes are golden and puffed and firm to the touch. A toothpick inserted in the center will come out with only a dry crumb or two attached.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool for a five minutes in the tins, and then remove them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Frost with favorite frosting and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Cinnamon Frosting: Cream 1/2 cup vegan butter or coconut oil or vegan shortening with 1 cup powdered sugar. Add 1/4 cup coconut cream and blend well. Mix in enough powdered sugar to make a soft frosting. (Usually another cup.) Chill the frosting in the fridge until ready to frost the cupcakes.