Citrus Ginger Chip Cupcakes
1/2 cup uncrystallized candied ginger
1 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chunks
Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Vanilla Yellow Cake mix
2 tsp dried grated orange peel
1/2 cup egg whites
1/2 cup extra light olive oil
1/2 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line 18 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- In a food processor, zoop the candied ginger and the chocolate chunks several minutes into very small pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the cake mix and the ginger/chocolate pieces, adding the dried orange peel.
- Add the egg whites, egg, oil, and water, and using a mixer, blend slowly at first until all the ingredients are incorporated. Then on a higher speed, mix the batter for a minute or so until it’s thick and well mixed.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 18 muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until the cupcakes are puffed, firm to the touch, and/or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (When I baked them, it took 22 minutes.)
- Cool in the tins for about five minutes. Then remove them to a wire cooling rack to completely cool.