Oatmeal Date Cookies
(These make about 60 small cookies or 30 large cookies.)
1 1/2 cup Gluten Free flour blend (I used a homemade blend of garbanzo bean and sorghum flours mixed with tapioca and potato starch)
3 cups Gluten Free whole rolled oats
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
8 oz pkg pitted, dried, chopped dates
1 cup vegan soy free butter or coconut oil or natural shortening
1 cup coconut sugar
2 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 6 tbsp water (Mix ahead of time and let it sit)
2 tbsp additional water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix together in a bowl the flour, oats, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Stir in the dates. Set aside
- In a mixer, cream the butter with the coconut sugar.
- Add the flaxseed mixture with the dry ingredients and the additional water. Mix until well combined.
- On the prepared cookie sheets, drop the cookie batter by 1 tablespoon-full for smaller cookies (2 inch diameter) or 2 tablespoons-full for larger cookies (4 inch diameter). Leave about an inch in between the cookies.
- Press the dough down with a fork in both directions and bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes for the small cookies until the cookies are puffed, golden and stiff to the tough. For the larger cookies, turn the pan around after 8-10 minutes and bake for another 8-10 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool for a couple of minutes on the cookies sheets before moving them to a wire cooling rack with a spatula to cool completely.