Rhubarb, Lentil Soup
1 lb dried lentils, rinsed and picked over
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp minced ginger
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 cup thinly sliced petite carrots
1 cup quartered and diced zucchini
2 cups finely sliced rhubarb
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp salt (if your broth is unsalted)
6 cups choice of broth (vegetable, chicken, etc.)
- Rinse, check, and drain the lentils. Set aside.
- In a large pot (I use my Dutch oven), heat the olive oil, and saute the onions, garlic, ginger, and curry powder for a minute to release the flavors.
- Add the sliced carrots and zucchini and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the rhubarb and saute for 5 minutes until they are soft.
- Add the lentils, black pepper, and salt. Stir well.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for 45 minutes until the lentils have swelled and the soup has thickened.
- Serve with a garnish of chopped green onions.