Tomato, Zucchini, and Kale Flatbread
garlic cloves (I roasted about 40 cloves)
fresh basil (at least a cup to two cups worth of leaves)
black pepper and salt (to taste)
olive oil (for both the garlic and for the basil-garlic sauce)
onions, thinly sliced (at least a couple of cups worth)
olive oil (for caramelizing the onions)
kale, thinly sliced (at least a couple of cups worth; remember that you double the amount of fresh to get what you need cooked)
zucchini(thinly sliced into half moons; about a couple of cups worth)
minced garlic, olive oil, dried oregano, salt and black pepper (for both the kale and zucchini)
tomatoes (thinly sliced and drained of the seeds; two to four tomatoes at least)
Schar gluten free thin pizza crusts (as many as you think you’ll make; each package has two crusts; we made four but then made another two a day later!)
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- In an ovenproof pan, coat the garlic cloves with just enough olive oil to keep the cloves from sticking. Roast in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring every five minutes until they are browned and shriveling and the aroma fills your kitchen. Remove from the oven and let them cool.
- Add the garlic cloves to a food processor with the basil leaves and begin to food process both, adding just enough olive oil to make a paste. Add black pepper and salt to taste. Set aside.
- In a pan on the stovetop, coat the sliced onions with just enough olive oil to coat and cook the onions over low heat for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring once or twice until the onions are golden and caramelized. Remove from the heat and let them cool.
- In a pan on the stovetop, separately saute both the kale and zucchini with olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper until they are tender. Remove and allow them to cool.
- Slice the tomatoes and drain them in a colander, removing the seeds. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 410 degrees. Place the pizza crusts on a cookie sheet and bake for 3 minutes. Then flip the crusts and bake for another 3 minutes.
- Spread some of the basil-garlic paste thinly over the crust. Layer with caramelized onions, then tomatoes, then zucchini, then kale.
- Bake in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes until the crust is crispy and browned.
- Remove to wire cooling racks for five to ten minutes. Enjoy!