Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins
1 cup unsweetened vegan/plant based milk (we use soy or flax or oat)
1 tbsp vinegar (choose white, apple cider, or raspberry)
2 cups your favorite gluten free flour blend (I like King Arthur’s whole grain blend)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup coconut sugar or monk fruit golden sweetener
6 tbsp plant oil (we use safflower or avocado or extra light olive oil)
2 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12 regular-sized muffin tin or 24 mini-muffin tin with appropriately sized cupcake liners or grease the tins with your preferred method, and set aside.
- Mix together the “milk” and vinegar to make a “buttermilk”. Allow it to thicken.
- Combine together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and chocolate chips.
- Add to the “buttermilk”, the coconut sugar, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until all dry ingredients are moistened.
- Evenly divide the batter among the muffin tins of choice.
- Bake in the preheated oven until puffed, golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Larger muffins will take about 20-25 minutes. Mini muffins will take 10-15 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool in the tins for 5 minutes; then remove them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.