Vegan Dark Chocolate No Sugar Cupcakes
(makes one dozen)
1 1/2 cup gluten free flour (I used King Arthur’s whole grain version)
1/2 cup Country Farms Super Greens powder (you can omit this and just substitute another cup of gluten free flour, if you’re not interested in adding “healthy greens”)
1/2 cup Hershey’s Special Dark unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup plant based milk (I used unsweetened gluten free oat milk)
1/2 cup plant based oil (I used avocado oil because it brings out chocolate flavors well)
1 cup apple butter pure fruit spread (I found this at a local store; made with only fruit)
1 1/2 tsp gluten free vanilla
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
- Mix together the gluten free flour, greens, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Mix together the water, oat milk, avocado oil, apple butter, and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, along with the vinegar and whisk together until well blended.
- Divide the batter evening among the twelve cups. The cupcake liners will be filled almost to the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cupcakes puff and a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Mine took 20 minutes.
- Remove the muffin tin to a wire cooling rack and allow the cupcakes to cool about five to ten minutes in the tin before removing them. They will collapse a bit, but that is what makes them fudgy.
- Remove the cupcakes from the tin and cool completely. They keep well in a covered tupper ware.