Vegan Lemon Cheesecake
2 1/4 cups gluten, dairy, nut free gingersnap cookie crumbs (an 8 oz bag of your favorite allergy friendly brand, pulsed into crumbs)
1/4 cup melted vegan butter (use your favorite brand)
Three 8 ounce containers of vegan cream cheese (use your favorite type), at room temperature
11 oz vegan sweetened coconut condensed milk (use your favorite brand)
1/2 cup lemon juice (fresh squeezed in best)
3 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp lemon extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Wrap the outside of a 9 inch springform pan with a couple of layers of aluminum foil, and bring water to a boil for later use.
- Mix together the gingersnap cookie crumbs with the melted butter and evenly spread the crumbs into the springform pan, patting the crumbs into a solid crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack and allow it to cool.
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Scrape down sides frequently.
- Add the sweetened condensed coconut milk, lemon juice, cornstarch and lemon extract, and blend until completely combined and smooth.
- Pour into the springform pan and spread evenly over the cookie crumb crust.
- Place the cheesecake into a pan larger than the springform pan and pour the boiling water into the pan until the water is about halfway up the springform pan.
- Bake the cheesecake for 60 to 65 minutes until the cheesecake is mostly firm and just slightly jiggly in the center. A knife inserted at the edge of the cheesecake will come out clean.
- Turn off the oven, and with the oven door open, let the cheesecake cool for 45 minutes to an hour inside the oven.
- Put the cheesecake in the fridge and allow it to cool for several hours or overnight.
- Once the cheesecake has solidified in the fridge, run a butter knife around the edge to loosen it from the springform pan, and remove the cheesecake.
- Serve plain, with vegan cream, and/or decorated with fruit.