Vegan Protein Waffles
1 1/4 cup whole grain gluten free flour blend (you can use a rice flour blend but it won’t have fiber and protein)
1 cup ground golden flaxseed
1/4 cup hemp protein powder (if you have a favorite protein powder, you can use that instead)
2 tbsp egg replacer (just put in the powder as is without mixing it with any liquid)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups high protein “milk” (I like to use a GF soy or oat milk)
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup plant based oil (oils like an extra light olive oil, safflower, avocado, etc…)
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Prepare and preheat your waffle maker as instructed.
- Mix together in a large bowl the GF flour, ground flaxseed, protein powder, egg replacer powder, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk the milk with the lemon juice, and set aside.
- Mix together the oil, maple syrup and water. Add to the milk mixture.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and add the vinegar. Whisk well until all the dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Cook waffles in your waffle maker as instructed.
NOTE: My niece told me that every time she tried to make vegan waffles they stuck to the waffle maker. I had no such issues with either of my waffle makers when we made these waffles. If you find that the waffles stick, it may simply be that your waffle maker has not been “seasoned” enough. Brushing the waffle maker with oil or spraying it with a non-propellant olive oil spray, as I do, tends to work.