1 tbsp dried dill
2 tbsp chopped chives (dried or fresh)
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup liquid egg whites** (see below for egg free option)
3/4 cup gluten free bread crumbs (whatever you’d prefer)
24 ounces of crabmeat (six 6 oz cans will give you 24 oz of meat)
1. Whisk the dill, chives, lemon juice, black pepper and egg whites together.
2. Add the bread crumbs and mix well. Let sit for a few minutes.
3. Drain the crabmeat and put into a bowl. Add the breadcrumb mixture and combine well.
4. Cover the crabmeat and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes, 30 if you have the time.
5. Form the crabmeat mixture into patties. (I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop out the crabmeat so my patties are uniform.) Loosely and lightly pat the crab cakes into shape.
6. Coat the bottom of a nonstick skillet with about 1 tsp of olive oil. Heat to medium-low.
7. Place the patties onto the skillet and slightly flatten them. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the side is browned.
8. Flip the crab cakes and again slightly flatten. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the second side is browned.
9. Serve with remoulade sauce.
Remoulade sauce: Mix 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I like to use a reduce fat olive oil mayonnaise.) with 2 tbsp finely chopped green onions, 1/2 tsp ground mustard, and 1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning. Add lemon juice until the sauce is at the consistancy and lemony flavor you like. (I usually use about 3 tbsp.) Put it into the fridge for the flavors to meld while you’re cooking the crab cakes.
** If you are allergic to eggs, mix 1 tbsp of golden ground flaxmeal with 3 tbsp of water for every egg (the 1/2 cup liquid egg whites equals two large eggs).