Crockpot Enchilada Casserole
1 to 3 tsp chili powder (depends on how hot you like things)
1 cup low salt, fat free chicken broth
6 oz can of tomato paste
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp ground cumin
One 8 oz can no added salt tomato sauce
2 tsp minced garlic
½ tsp black pepper
1 cup salsa
One 15 oz can of no added salt beans (ranchero, kidney, northern beans, black – whatever you like best or have on hand)
2 cups thawed frozen corn
1/2 cup diced red, yellow or green peppers
1/2 cup finely diced zucchini
1/2 cup sliced broccoli
4 chicken breasts (sliced into thin slices or diced into small squares and sauteed just until no longer pink)
10 corn tortillas
8 oz shredded reduced fat, low sodium cheddar cheese (can be omitted)
1. Mix the chili powder, chicken broth, tomato paste, oregano, cumin, tomato sauce, garlic, pepper and salsa together. Set aside.
2. Combine the beans, corn, peppers, zucchini, and broccoli. Set aside.
3. Layer two tortillas on the bottom of the crockpot.*
4. Follow with ¼ of the chicken slices.
5. Top with ¼ of the sauce mixture.
6. Add ¼ of the bean mixture.
7. Top with 1/5 of the cheese.
8. Repeat the layering three more times.
9. Top with the last two tortillas and remaining cheese.
10. Cover the slow-cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
*NOTE: The two tortillas don’t completely fill the crockpot, so we layer the tortillas perpendicular to the layer beneath (i.e. making a cross shape with every two layers).