Paula’s Favorite Cake: Ginger Bundt Cake Recipe
2 ½ cups 100% whole wheat flour or sorghum flour or Gluten Free Flour blend
1 tsp gluten free baking powder (increase to 2 tsp if using the gluten free sorghum or blend flour)
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
2/3 cup safflower oil (you use canola oil or another type, if you want)
2/3 cup Agave
½ cup Truvia
½ cup Toffuti vegan sour cream (you can also use regular sour cream)
Egg whites equivalent to 3 eggs or 3 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 9 tablespoons of water or 3 eggs
3 tbsp grated ginger
2/3 cup room temperature ginger ale or plain water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a bundt pan for use. (I usually use a napkin to coat the pan with a little bit of oil and then I add a tbsp of flour and carefully tilt the pan around over my trash can until the pan is completely covered.)
2. Mix the whole wheat flour or gluten free flour with baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. Mix oil, Agave, Truvia, sour cream, egg whites or flaxseed mixture, and ginger.
4. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with the ginger ale, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.* Mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
5. Evenly spread batter into bundt pan and bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
6. Cool on wire rack for at least 15 minutes before removing from the pan and cooling completely.**
* At this step you can also choose to add 1 cup of mini chocolate chips or finely diced fruit like apples or finely diced dried fruit like dates to the batter just before you mix in the ginger ale.
** The cake can be eaten plain, with vanilla ice cream or with sautéed fruit like apples or pears, which you can slice, sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg or ginger, and cook until soft.