Paula’s Low Fat Date Bread Recipe
1 cup finely chopped dates
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup Agave
1/4 cup egg whites or 1 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tbsp water
2 tbsp grapeseed oil (or another type of oil you prefer)
2 1/2 cups 100% whole wheat flour or 2 cups Authentic Foods Multi-Blend gluten free flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder
1 cup your choice of finely chopped nuts, mini chocolate chips, or dried fruit*
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9 x 5 loaf pan to your liking. (I would use “If You Care” parchment paper, but you can spray it with Pam spray or coat it with butter or oil.)
2. Cover the chopped dates with the boiling water and let sit for at least five minutes.
3. Mix the flour with the baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Stir in the nuts, chips, or fruit. Set aside.
4. Add the Agave, egg whites, and oil to the date-water mixture.
5. Quickly mix the dry ingredients into the wet and pour into prepared loaf pan.
6. Bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Bread will be golden brown.
* Since I have a nut allergy, I like to use the Enjoy Life allergen free mini chocolate chips, but I have occasionally added other chopped dried fruit like apricots and dried plums.