Macaroni and Cheese
one pound 100% whole wheat pasta (can also use gluten free pasta)
2 links chicken Italian sausages (fully cooked type)
one 16 oz thawed frozen broccoli florets
2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped frozen onions (can use fresh, too)
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
3 cups Cabot 50% reduced fat cheddar cheese (shredded)
2 12 oz cans fat free evaporated milk
4 eggs plus 1/2 cup liquid egg whites
1/2 cup Cabot 50% reduced fat cheddar cheese (shredded)
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees and very lightly grease a 9 x 13 pan. (I normally use a little bit of olive or grapeseed oil.)
2. Prepare the whole wheat or gluten free noodles as directed on the package, but cook it one minute less than indicated. Drained the noodles and put them into a large bowl.
3. In a food processor, chop up the two sausage links into fine pieces and add to the noodles.
4. In a food processor, chop up the thawed broccoli florets into fine pieces and add to the noodles.
5. Add the garlic, onions, black pepper and nutmeg, and 3 cups of the cheese, mixing well with the noodles.
6. Whisk well together the cans of evaporated milk with the eggs and egg whites. Pour into the noodle bowl and combine.
7. Using a ladle, scoop out the mac and cheese into the 9 x 13 pan. When you reach the end of the noodles, pour any leftover milk/egg mixture from the bottom of the bowl onto the noodles in the pan. Gently tap the noodles to make them even in the pan.
8. Sprinkle the leftover 1/2 shredded cheese over the top of the noodles. (You can increase this to 1 cup if your family likes it cheesier.)
9. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling at the edge and no longer liquidy in the center. Let the mac and cheese sit for 10 minutes before serving.