1 tablespoon safflower oil
1/2 cup frozen chopped onions
2 zucchini, chopped into 1/2 inch squares
2 carrots, finely chopped
16 ounces 93% lean ground turkey
one 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 of a 15.5 ounce jar of salsa
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons minced cilantro
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
multi-grain tortilla chips (my daughter used 3/4 of a 9 oz bag)
1/2 cup Tofutti sour cream
10 oz thawed frozen green chopped peppers
second 1/2 of the 15.5 ounce jar of salsa
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Pour the oil into a large skillet and turn the heat to medium.
3. Saute the onions, zucchini, and carrots until soft, about five minutes.
4. Add the ground turkey and saute until browned. Drain the fat and put into a large bowl.
5. Add the diced tomatoes, 1/2 of the jar of salsa, oregano, salt, cumin, black pepper, and cilantro. Mix well.
6. Mix the green peppers with the sour cream.
7. Layer a third of the meat mixture in a 9 x 13 pan.
8. Drop a third of the sour cream/pepper mixture by spoonfuls in rows on top of the meat.
9. Cover the meat and sour cream with a single layer of tortilla chips.
10. Repeat the layer of meat, sour cream and tortilla chips two more times.
11. Drop the remaining 1/2 of the salsa by spoonfuls in rows on top of the last layer of chips .
12. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until the casserole is warm.