Paula’s Son’s Favorite Snack Muffin: Peanut Butter Muffins
2 tbsp canola oil (or grapeseed or another oil you prefer)
2 tsp honey
3 tbsp Agave
1/2 cup rolled whole grain regular or gluten free oats
3 cups 100% whole wheat flour or 2 1/4 cups Authentic Food Multi-Blend Gluten free flour
2 cups rolled whole grain regular or gluten free oats, pulsed in a food processor until to make a crumbly oat flour
4 tsp gluten free baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt*
1/2 cup Agave
2 mashed or pureed ripe bananas
1 cup applesauce
2/3 cup peanut butter**
1/2 cup egg whites or 2 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 6 tbsp of water
1 1/2 cup soy milk (you may use another type of milk, if necessary)
1 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare muffin tins for 18-24 muffins, depending on the size muffins you want. (I would use “If You Care” muffin cups, but you can use Pam spray or grease them with butter or oil.)
2. Stir the canola oil, honey, and Agave together. Mix in the rolled oats until they are completely coated. Set aside.
3. Whisk together the flour, processed oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
4. Mix together the Agave, mashed bananas, applesauce, peanut butter, and egg whites or flaxseed mixture. Add the milk and vanilla.
5. Quickly combine the dry ingredients into the wet, stirring just until the dry ingredients are moist. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
6. Carefully sprinkle oat topping onto each muffin. (Will be sticky work!)
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Cool for at least five minutes in the muffin tins before removing.
* You can omit the salt, if you want.
** I use Teddy’s no salt, no sugar added peanut butter.