Struesel Pear Cranberry Pie
(This recipe makes two pies)
Pie crust, prepare enough for two bottoms only
1 cup agave
1/4 cup water
one 12 oz package of fresh cranberries (be sure to check for stems)
8 pears, washed, cored and sliced into 12-16 slices each
3 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp water
2 cups gluten free whole oats
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 cup vegan soy free butter*
1. Prepare your favorite pie crust recipe. If you don’t have one, Bob’s Red Mill pie crust mix works very well. Would recommend adding some spices to jazz it up a bit, though. Line the bottoms of two 9.5 inch pie pans with the crusts.
2. Mix agave with water and put into a stove top pan large enough to hold all the pears.
3. Add the cranberries and bring to a boil. Cook for a minute or two until the cranberries begin to pop.
4. When the majority of cranberries have popped, add the pears, stirring to coat with the cranberries. Cook for 3-5 minutes until pears have softened.
5. Mix the cornstarch with the water, and making a well in the center of the pear mixtures, slowly add the cornstarch, stirring continually. Mix the cornstarch syrup thoroughly with the pear-cranberry mixture, cooking for a minute or two to make sure the syrup has thickened.
6. Evenly divide the pear-cranberry mixture between the two pie crusts.
7. In a food processor, add the oats, sorghum flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and butter. Process until the mixture is a nice crumbly topping.
8. Evenly distribute the topping over both pies to completely cover them.
9. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 40-45 minutes until the pie is bubbling and the streusel is golden brown.
10. Cool completely before serving.
* This makes for a savory topping which contrasts with the sweetness of the pear-cranberry mixture. If you happen to like your toppings sweet, you should add a tbsp or two of Agave with the butter.