“That time again….”
This time of year is my favorite. The garden is blooming with zucchini, squash, eggplant, cucumbers, tomatoes, and kale. From the garden to the kitchen to the dinner table, these veggies make for great meals on summer days. The only down side is that we often find ourselves with such a plentiful yield that I need to come up with different ways of serving the vegetables so we are not caught in a rut.
This week, I had an abundance of zucchini and squash and thought I would look up some recipes online. I noticed that there were several sites boasting a zucchini-squash bake but noticed that they were actually the very same recipe over and over again for using heavy cream and butter and cheese to make a white sauce for the vegetables.
Since a dairy allergy precludes all three of those ingredients, I decided to revamp the recipe to create my own sauce. I also decided the recipe had too many complicated steps and made some changes so the prep work would be about ten minutes tops, and the oven could do the rest. The result was pretty tasty.
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp oregano
2 tbsp chopped green onions
8 cups sliced zucchini and squash (cut in half, then sliced into half moons)
1 tbsp olive oil (not a mistake – more olive oil in addition to the first)
2 tbsp garbanzo bean flour
1 cup unsweetened soy milk
1 cup Violife dairy free cheddar cheese
1 cup unsweetened soy milk (not a mistake – another cup’s worth in addition to the first cup)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground onion powder
1 cup freshly chopped basil
2 tbsp chopped green onions (yes, another two tablespoons)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil with the minced garlic, oregano and green onions for about a minute to release the flavors.
- Toss in the chopped zucchini and squash moons and saute for about two to three minutes, just until the colors become vibrant and the herbs have flavored the vegetables. Removed from the heat source and set aside.
- In a smaller pan, heat the 1 tbsp olive oil for about a minute. Add the garbanzo bean flour and stir until the flour is completely absorbed into the oil.
- Add the first one cup of soy milks, stirring until the flour mixture is dissolved and the mixture begins to thicken.
- Add the Violife cheese shreds and stir until until melted. It will be thick.
- Stir in the second one cup of soy milk until the sauce is thinner and smooth.
- Add the black pepper, onion powder and basil. Remove from the heat.
- Stir the sauce into the sauteed zucchini and squash until well coated.
- Pour the vegetables into an 11 x 7 pan and sprinkle the green onions on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time.
You must be logged in to post a comment.